After a little get together at my director's house, some of the interns headed off to Michael Jackson Tribute night at a club in Dakar.
My family is very chill and lets me sleep in. I did a lot of walking around in the village (whenever I wasn't sleeping or eating). Like I said my family is hell bent on spoiling me. I thought my intern director was semi joking when she told me that my family was going to try and fatten me up...but she wasn't. It is very much a cultural thing, a symbol of status. If your guests are nice and plump it means you're feeding them well. One of my sisters told me today that she will not let me go back to the states with skinny arms and legs.
We shared pictures and watched a lot of TV. I brought a lot of my favorite DVDs with me so they're enjoying that. I'm beginning to get used to the "music of the village." Throughout the day it's the call to prayer or whatever else is announced from the local mosque. At night is the same but it's also the birds and the goats outside the gate. It's actually comforting to know they're there. What I love most about this place is that it feels like time stopped. No one is on time...for anything. There's no pressure, no freaking out. When you get there, you get there. I've never been so carefree in my life!
Well, those are my thoughts for now. I'm sure I forgot plenty but I promise to stay pretty consistent so don't worry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Curious! So how soon did you find out about Michael, and what was the vibe like their? I spoke to a friend who was in Japan at the time, and you know how their downtown is very similar to TimeSquare with the huge screens? She said everybody and their momma stopped completely what they were doing, were all standing, crying, and watching the Huge screen as CNN reported it. But yeah, just curious did you hear it on the news as well? And like how were the people their impacted by it?
ReplyDelete