Lights!!!
I can't begin to describe how happy I was when we finally saw land and lights. It was so amazing to fly over Dakar. Unfortunately when I arrived it was around 6 am Senegalese time so all I wanted to do was sleep. The airport wasn't too bad, but once I stepped out of those doors it was a whole new world.
All of a sudden I was flooded with tons of drivers who all wanted to take me and my bags second. I must've heard you are beautiful and I love you in those short three minutes more times than I've ever heard in the US all together. Luckily I spotted someone who I assumed worked with my program and I was right. Brook and Cisco saved me and got me safely into the car they had waiting.
The Lo Family!!!
Luckily they only live about five minutes from the airport. I actually feel kind of spoiled with them. They live on a compound and I stay in an apartment next to the main house. It has an actual toilet and working shower head (though I won't have a hot shower until I return to the states). A kitchen area, a fridge, and there are two rooms. My room has a large bed, a dresser, a table, and two big comfy chairs. The family is so sweet. They're trying to teach me Wolof phrases and as of now I've somewhat mastered one. It's Mangi fi rekk (I'm here) which is the response to a very traditional greeting. The family also has wireless!!! They also are intent on "plumping me up." I feel like they make me eat the most at every meal, and every time I try to finish up they hand me more food. Every one's favorite thing to say to me is also tu manges bien? (french for did you eat well) and my response is oui, bien sur (which to me is hells yeah). I'm already learning a lot from them so I'm excited about the next 7 weeks.
My internship is a ten-fifteen minute walk from my home stay. I walk along a semi busy road so there's lots to see. The first time I did the walk by myself I was definitely nervous. There's a lot of sand too!!! But I think I'll get used to it. It's another chance for me to get out of my comfort zone so I will welcome the opportunity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lmbo at the eager guys! Men are men, internationally. Loves it!
ReplyDelete