Thursday, July 2, 2009

1st Week Observations

So I've officially been here for a week and I wanted to write down some of the interesting things I've picked up so far. I guess I'll do this at the end of each week.

1. Senegalese women are fly as hell. You better not even think about stepping out of your house, especially at night, not looking like a true diva. I don't want to generalize so let me talk about the women here in Dakar-Yoff. They wear a lot of name brands. Some of my host sisters especially like sporting anything from Von Dutch to D&G and Versace. Even though it is hot, they do wear jeans. Actually of all the foreigners I know here, none of them even brought a pair of jeans-but not to worry all of the stores and Tuesday's street market (right off my street) sells tons of pairs so they'll be OK.

2. Speaking of Senegalese women...No they are not all sporting the "natural look." I actually saw more women with natural hair back home in the states. Most women sport hair extensions, wigs, or braids. When we were looking at some of my pictures of my friends back home, my sisters thought that everyone with nice long hair just had a good weave.

3. It's hard to be a bitch-when everyone is so charming. Senegalese men, at least that I've come in contact with so far, are all extremely incessant. Even when sporting the "don't f**k with me look," sunglasses, and headphones-they will still try and talk to you. The trick is that sometimes they do just want to say hi and tell you that you're beautiful and just keep walking. This is quite confusing for me and some of the other interns. I'll get back to you on how we're learning to cope with this.

4. I don't mind covering up all the time- when there are valid reasons to do so. In the states i feel like I'm being censored and that I'm told to cover up because god forbid some man puts his hands on me-I'd be to blame. That has never sit well for me. Here it's different. Here It doesn't matter what I wear above the waist or how much skin is shown. What really counts are your thighs. That is the one body part that you must not reveal because it directly correlates to sexuality in terms of your ability at childbirth. That's it. It's very simple but quite understandable.

5. No sense of time=so much less stress. I've realized that a lot of my day to day stress comes from worrying about what time it is and being on time for whatever I was doing. That's not how it's done here. There a general understanding that stuff comes up. Whether it be a phone call or a friend in need, distractions are abundant. This society is so hospitable that they'd rather not be on time than be unwelcoming. I've adjusted very well to this aspect of society. I don't have to walk as fast on my way to the office and that makes me feel better because I can actually feel the very slight breeze that I would've have missed if I was in a hurry. No sense of time also allows for a lot of leisure. I've been reading more and I even have time to blog and catch up with friends. I love it!!!

OK. those are some thoughts for now. This weekend me and some of the other interns plan on hitting downtown Dakar. From what I've heard this will be quite an adventure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment